Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Separate Peace ch. 12

12/3/08

"I did not cry then or ever about Finny. I did not cry even when i stood watching him being lowered into his family's strait-laced burial ground outside of Boston. I could not escape a feeling that this was my own funeral, and you do not cry in that case"(194).

This quote is significant because this is Finnys' funeral which in my perspective resembles how Gene was so reliant and a part of Finny. In the beginning of the book we see examples of Gene becoming Finny. For instance, when Gene tried on Finny's clothes and acted like Finny in front of the mirror. It is at this moment in the book were Gene realizes that he should be the one pushing up daisies, not Finny. This relates back to Gene wanting to be like Finny and the trying on of the clothes, where Gene realizes that without Finny he is nothing, a dead soul.

How might this scene have gone if Gene was the one in the coffin?

No comments: