Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Othello Act 1 scene 3

12/17/08
"My noble father,/I do perceive here a divided duty/...You are the lord of duty,/I am hitherto your daughter...But here's my husband,/ And so much duty as my mother/ To you, preferring you before her father,/ So much I challenge that i may profess/ Due to the Moor my lord/"(1.3.178-187)

This quote is significant first of all because it is the first appearance of Desdemona in the play. Also this quote is significant because here we see her standing up to her powerful father and speaking her own voice sort of against him. She claims that her loyalty is not to her father, and like her mom, to her husband. The status of women was very low at the time and this speech to her father, like Antigone, sort of increases the value of women in the play.

As far as loyalty goes, how has this male dominant time where fathers were seen as everything good evolved into our society today?

No comments: